From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:07:22 -0700
I will be brief here in thoughts as I try to keep working
and doing things to keep mind in control as I sort tings
out.

But reading though...in doing mite drops, and I don't see
this take on it brought up to often in counting for
accuracy, you must be careful,...so as not to scew results!

 for there are perhaps 3-4,probably 4 if I remember
correctly different categories of mites in a given beehive,
and I am not talking different categories of varroa. I mean
different beneficial and other mites in a beehive that have
always been there, that would IMPOV drop to the bottom of
hives and could be construed counted in varroa mite counts
by inexperienced personnel doing tests/counts. Or they
could be mites normally living on bottom boards that would
end up in the debree anyways. Also color would vary from
sort of whiteish to the deeper browns so so might think
immature and adult and actually they just lighter color and
not immature varroa.

Perhaps you should talk about distinguishing different
types of mites by category found in a beehive as when old
and dropping down just like varroa they could be confused.

But just a thought here....... Dr Needham comes to mind
here in my thoughts for maybe wanting to consult.

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper
Moyza, Arizona