From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:44:56 -0600
Hello Chuck & All,
The Febuary issue of Bee Culture came yesterday and the next series of Larry
Conner articles is going to be about queens. This months article is "The
Perfect Queen".

We are blessed to have two excellent bee magazines available to us in the
U.S. at a very reasonable price ( discounts to members of bee clubs for both
mags). All beekeepers should subscribe to at least one and *both* if
possible.

Chuck said;
After many hours of thought, I have decided to integrate the Minnesota
Hygienic lines developed by Dr. Marla Spivak into my operation.

Dr. Marla Spivak's line has been the best we have used. We even tested the
breeder queen with Marla's own method to make sure she was hygienic. She
was!
Hygienic is easy to select for  so I am surprised all queen breeders do not
sellect for and sell hygienic queens.

Chuck said;
 By the way, Dr. Spivak will be speaking at the Spring Conference of the
North Carolina State Beekeepers Association in New Bern, North Carolina
March 12 and 13, 2004; I can't wait to get her cornered,

I have had harder times talking directly with speakers at small meetings
than national meetings. During the talk I write down the questions I have
got and put in order of importance. Many times I can get the questions
answered in the question session at the end of the talk but other times I
have to stand and wait my turn. Short direct quick answers are the norm for
speakers after a talk.

Every once in a while you get lucky like I did in Jacksonville and a speaker
like Dr Harbo carries on a conversation with you for about forty five
minutes.

I will share a bit of information I learned from Dr. Harbo. Around 12 years
ago a mutant strain of capensis was observed in South Africa and has caused
much concern due to the fact after the hive is taken over the hive almost
always dies.

Bob