From:
Stewart Beattie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:35:58 +0000
Following comments from Harry Goudie. He suggests it that
letting nature take it,s toll on the area honeybees would
eventually find the emergence of the varroia resistant bee.

This is not a obviously a method to be adopted but *is it* possibly
that naturally, without special beebreeding research, the resistant
 bee will emerge.

The first attack wave of mites into an area will destroy all the
wild colonies of bees. The beekeepers will treat their hives. Swarms
infected with the mite will restock some of the wild colonies old homes
The bees will be tried against the mite without treatment, most will
perish but somewhere could a wild colony with a small amount of  resistance
survive.
The time scale I fear is not in our life time. Should we now be looking in the
 feral stocks in countries that have had the mite for many years for the resistant bee?

Does this make any sense. I am thinking of the allegory to the rabbit population that
was cleared from countries with mixamatosais. Some rabbits have now developed resistance.

 Stewart
Cumbria, UK. (an old Gable-Endie)