Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:28:44 GMT
>>After murdering a few chickadees  I was able
to get a better idea of the mortality (snow is useful)

Chickadees are very beneficial, beautiful birds!  Sorry but I can't feel sorry for you...

>>It is odd to go to the yard when it is -4C,grey sky and see 3-4 bees in the air before you even get there.... About 1/4 of the hives are restless...  1/4 of the hives are properly dormant, no apparent leakage, no bees at entrance

Are you sure the restless ones are not going out for water to dilute their honey to feed to the brood?  Many colonies, especially the weak ones, will start raising a small clutch of brood at this time.

Stick division board feeders with an inch of water in your restless hives and monitor.

>>Regularly 1/3 of the virgins disappear at day 10 or so,
likely lost to birds or dragonflies.  It is most annoying)

You live in nature's backyard.  Just raise more virgins.

>>I continue to be disappointed that the dozen or more
of you reading this that have ccd, KNOW that you have ccd,
continue to be silent.

Are you positive you have ccd?

Waldemar