From:
Gilles Maguet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:11:28 -0600
>California beekeepers are overpaid in my opinion  if one considers the cost
>and risk involved with bringing bees from far away areas.

Do we really want to believe that beekeepers are overpaid?  Point your
arrows at fortune 500 CEO's,  not the primary food producers of the
world.    These statements only serve to further divide beekeepers or
farmers for that matter.  All the large successful companies have for
several decades, been merging.  They realize something that the fiercely
independent beekeeper/farmer doesn't;  It pays to be united and work
co-operatively.  If beekeepers/farmers could do the same, they might not
be a the bottom of the ladder, receiving the least amount of money that
comes out of agriculture, and there is a lot of money in agriculture.
If you look at supply managed dairy and poultry in Canada, you will find
a very prosperous agricultural sector that is not subsidized by
taxpayers.  The potato growers in the U.S. are  cutting production
co-operatively to attain a better return on their huge investments.  I
think these examples need to be followed if we want a more stable
beekeeping industry.

Gilles