From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:41:30 -0500
Deknow:
> for the majority of beekeepers, foulbrood can be dealt with without
> antibiotics, mites can be managed without miticides,

The only problem I see with the above is its very hard for new beekeepers
with busy lifestyles to do the above. because I sell at the largest farmers
market in six states and belong to several bee groups I see perhaps more
than those pushing no treatments the result. I did a post on the second year
beekeeper whioch lost all his hives (35 in new equipment) to AFB and burned
the whole mess. The new beekeepers which have lost their couple hives each
fall and winter to mites. Four also lost their equipment to moths & small
hive beetle this year.

From my point of veiw few new to several year beekeepers are experienced
enough to do the above successfully. I can't even begin to remember all the
stupid things many say they read off the net to go treatment free.

I believe Dean, Michael Bush and Dee Lusby to name a few practice what they
preach but very hard for most newbees to be successful with.

Yesterday a book on organic beekeeping (brand new) came up for auction and
not one bid. Then a member said the book sold for $30 . Still few bid and
the book sold for I think six bucks.

>and starvation is usually a result of management decisions rather than a
>lack of forage

Hobby maens in the eyes of the IRS your bees are keep for enjoyment. the
hobby is not intended to make a profit. Hobby beekeepers let their bees many
times starve, die from mites etc.
Replace with apckage bees the next spring.

Syrup and pollen aptties are one of my biggest expesnse. At the bee meeting
yesterday long faces as poor honey crops and dead hives. two uncappers
running all day at my house.

PLB:
>I question whether these statements apply to the "majority" of beekeepers.

The majority of beekeepers I speak to cetainly treat and feed.

The Missouri USDA called today asking to meet with the governor in the ag
building on Thursday at 11:30. I told the USDA rep I might or I might not.
We are in the middle of extracting and I am a man short. I took the helpers
place in the extraction room today and most likely will each day this week.
Has been quite a few years since I have done so.

What did I learn?

I have help which knows exactly what to do and I most likely slowed the
process down.

I learned those guys do not use the expensive pallet lift I bought to make
their jobs easier and use a hive tool to scrape the comb instead of a
cappings scratcher.

I remembered what a boring job feeding comb into an uncapper was. I had
forgot how loud the machines are.

I plan to help again tomorrow. (or not!)

bob

PS. I might be at the AG building at the Missouri State Fair on Thursday to
talk to Governor Jay Nixon ( or not!). Governor Nixon is naming Thursday
"Bee Appreciation Day" I think the USDA rep said.