From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:48:31 -0800
> ...I am wondering why all of
> the states
> non-migratory beekeepers do not put pressure on the
> State Ag Dept to
> put an end to migratory beekeeping in this state.

IMO, there are several other ways that would cause AHB
to be transported to other states, such as queen,
package and nuc sales.  Migratory perhaps, would be
one of the lesser causes, you would think that a hot
hive would certainly have been discovered quickly by
the beekeeper or customer in the field, and would
necessitate quick requeening.

> At some level we can point the finger at the
> migratory folks for mites,
> SHB and antibiotic resistant FB.  What next?

Maybe at some level, but IMO the problem is too wide
spread for migrants to be held responsible to any
substantial degree.  IMO, much too often the bigger
forces behind finger pointing I believe are likely
politics, protectionism etc.  As opposed to
confronting the real issue which is the practice of
using chemicals and treatments as stop gap solutions.
Instead of fixing the problem from within, cover up
solutions are much too often employed.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
My Site:           http://www.biologicalbeekeeping.com