From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 00:30:03 -0400
>> list, someone pointed out that bees seem to prefer new comb for brood
>> rearing and darker comb for honey storage.  That has been my experience.
>
> This is not my experience.  For most that I speak to here in Australia,
> all
> say that queens will lay in a dark comb before laying in a white comb if
> given a choice.

Okay.  Sorry.  Language fouls us up.  I said, "new" comb, not white comb. In
my experience, if the bees are drawing new comb in the brood nest, it will,
in my experience, usually  be filled with eggs before it is even complete.
As for older white comb, it must be used with judgement.  I should say that,
in Alberta, it is prized for super comb, but I always liked some dark comb
in the supers, since the bees seem to be drawn to it, compared to white
comb.

> In late summer early autumn, a white comb in a brood nest will actually
> act as a barrier to the queen laying in the bottom box.  She
> will often only lay on the side of the white comb she is on.  She will not
> cross it to lay in dark combs on the other side of the brood box.  We are
> using excluders. When I talk about new white comb, it is a foundation that
> has been put in above a queen excluder, the bees have drawn it out and
> capped it.  I have extracted it.

Yup, I agree, especially if that white comb has been dried out.  Sticky
white comb, though, stands a better chance of quick acceptance, in my
experience.

> The best time to put down white combs in spring when the bees are in
> expansion mode.

Agreed.  That is the chance to do things that would cause trouble if done at
other times in the season.

allen