From:
Kermit Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:41:23 -0700
An interesting situation this season here in the coastal hills of Northern California.  In the past, the nectar flow of one of our native perennial herbs, Scrophularia Californica or Bee Plant, has been a major attractor for our bees.  Now the plants (large areas of them, BTW) are being worked by vast numbers of native bees, with nary a honeybee to be found.

In one of the large herb borders we maintain for cheesemaking ingredients and as a bee nectar source many of the plants that would be quite busy at this time are also almost exclusively being worked by native species.  Sages, oregano, monarda, etc.  The thymus sp. are still covered with honeybees.

There is a good nectar flow on, which I suspect is Star Thistle, but will need to be confirmed.  At least it looks to be Star Thistle honey.  But in the past, the Bee Plant was always an attraction.

Puzzling.  Preference in an abundant season? Thirty or so colonies working star thistle more than a mile distant when good nectar sources are to be found a few hundred yards away?

Any ideas?

Kermit Carter