From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:24:00 -0400
New York State is often thought of as being highly industrialized or
commercialized, perhaps because of New York City.  In fact, NYS is mostly
farm land and is third in the nation in milk production, and second in
apples and maple syrup.  Much of upstate NY today has better bee pasture
than it did 50 years ago...due to the abandonment of small farms.

It has been the best honey production year in memory, as attested to by
several, including myself.  In this regard someone said "My bees are in NW
Clinton county. Possibly the best year I've seen. Took 4300 from a yard of
26 yesterday. Most of the colonies are heavy below. Still have 11 yards in
NY to strip. Probably get 130 - 150 pound average over the 650 colonies
there."

The average weights per hive reported are not that unusual for NYS, since
the demise of feral bees due to varroa.  However, the average colonies per
yard astound me.  11 yards and 650 colonies works out to 59 colonies per
yard.  Wow!  Myself and a couple of others went from 20 to 30 with the
demise of varroa, and I have heard of 40-50 in the western part of the state
(where sweet clover and goldenrod can each produce major crops).  Anyone
else running over 40 colonies per yard?

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com