From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:03:21 -0500
>My concerns were that colonies would not be
strong enough, and risk of frost or freeze
would be great.

200 hives dead to frost?
New one on me.

bees starving? Sure. Bees with heads in cells sure sign of starvation.

>So how did the spring pan out for you?

spring was great but I expected drought.

Those in drought areas need to keep a close eye on stores. make sure bees
raise winter bees.

Easier to take care of the bees needs than blame losses on whatever.

beekeepers keeping a close watch on their hives did fine.

However at the beekeepers booth at the Missouri State fair ( I was at on
Tuesday) many reported the same as the video and the same at the Midwestern
beekeepers picnic I attended.

No two beekeeping years are the same.

I will say the honey is very thick and extractors need to run longer. The
bees capped inside the frames so the Dakota gunness is working better for us
than the cowan. Frames brought in this week show a darker honey being
brought in.

I feel for those beekeepers with problems as I have been in their shoes
before. We are getting mixed answers across the north. From bumper crops to
dismal crops.

All beekeeping is local.

bob