From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:46:31 -0500
Ray asks about NY and NJ regulations on the production of flavored spun or
creamed honey.  I know nothing about NJ, but I hold such a license in NY so
will comment.

In NY production of honey and maple syrup are exempt from the regulations
that otherwise require a license and annual inspection of food processing
facilities.  However, as soon as any ingredient is added to the honey or
maple syrup, a license is required.

IMHO, one should not be afraid of the license/inspection requirements in
NYS.  Thankfully, the regulations are enforced the the Department of
Agcriculture and Markets, not by the Health Department.  I know many people
with such a license, although many have a truly primitive processing
facility (I know of a licensed facility in a number of sheds with a
porta-potty for a bathroom facility).

Thankfully, Ag and Markets seems to take a view that they are charged with
helping folks comply with the regulations.  They will suggest and approve
'work arounds' for the more difficult part of the regulations such as the
requirements that a bathroom be within a certain number of feet and that a
separate hand washing sink be always available.

My suggestion is to call them and ask for an inspector to visit.  Let the
inspector see the facility and make comments.   Be frank about what you
cannot do and I don't think you will be disappointed.

We are currently in the process of making up our annual quota of 6,000 lbs.
of spun honey, so I know something about it.  Suggestions:
1.  Do not try flavors until you are fully satisified with your 'regular'
(non-flavored) product.  Minor defects in the regular products are amplified
in the flavored products.
2.  ONLY use freeze dried or 'fresh' (such as Cinnamon) ingredients.  Do not
use oils or 'powdered' ingredients.  A 'dirty little secret' is that
powdered ingredients (such as peachs, raspberries, etc.) contain corn
syrup!  Freeze dried ingredients can be 2X-3X the cost of powdered, but they
are worth every penny.
3.  Start small and let your customers tell you what 'works' and what does
not sell.

Good luck,

Lloyd