From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 04:21:34 -0700
"Robert J. Bassett" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Please tell us more about the nematodes you found for the hive beetle
infestation.

The developer for this line of attack on the SHB is Mr. Lewis Tedders.  He is located in Georgia and, I think, would be happy to send you some literature concerning the program he has developed.

Here is some of his sales pitch:

>>Southeastern Insectaries (SEI) is a small company in Perry, Georgia
devoted to the development of alternative methods and products for pest
control. After nearly 4 years of research and development SEI has
reached the final stage of producing and selling a new, exciting and highly
effective  product for control of small hive beetles.  The product
poses no threat to beekeepers, bee colonies, surrounding plants and animals
and poses no risk of contamination of honey.  There are no state or
federal regulations required for use of the product and it meets all
regulations required by the bee industry and organic producers.
>> The product employs use of beneficial nematodes produced by SEI and
developed jointly by SEI, the University of Georgia, and the Department
of Agriculture.  To apply nematodes they are added to water and poured
onto the soil in front of each hive.  Nematodes then burrow into the
soil, search out, attack, and kill hive beetle larvae and pupae that
previously exited the hive.  Attacking nematodes consume the insides of
hive beetles, where they also mate and reproduce.  Each dead hive beetle
then yields from 19,000 to 23,000 second generation nematodes that leave
the dead beetle after about 14 days.
>> The second generation of nematodes expands the search within the
soil around the hive, killing remaining beetles or additional beetles
that exit the hive.  Still more generations of nematodes develop for as
long as hive beetles infest the soil and until hive beetles cease to be a
problem.
>> This technique is a major control breakthrough for hive beetle
apiaries!
>> For further information concerning availability of nematodes and
timing and costs of applications, please contact us toll-free at 1
(877) 967 - 6777
>> (1 - 877 - WORMSSS).

The above is their sales pitch.

Mike in LA