From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:01:46 -0800
In regard to the "trickle down" effect of this decision:

It has been published that the bee research and "support" program of the
Oregon Extension Service will likely be discontinued next year on the
retirement of the lone researcher at OSU.  The ostensible reason for
cutting the program is budget.  Oregon's budget, already under great
pressure, has been decimated by an additional $150 Million as the result
of Federal Tax Cuts on business - the State relies on the Federal tax
model and returns for calculation of the State Tax.

If bee research is limited to one lab in the heart of Africanized
territory, if State programs are terminated due to budget constraints
(many States require a year to year balance budget), not only is the bee
industry jeopardized, so is all agriculture in every state where managed
pollination is required.

I was in the local Extension office yesterday and once making inquiries
regarding the real chain of budget command.  Frankly, there wasn't much
interest until I pointed out that Oregon's agriculture has a heavy
dependence on transient pollination services.  Even among the people who
should know better, bees = honey.  Get past that mind-set and some headway
is possible.

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Aaron Morris wrote:

> The deadline for member requests for Agriculture appropriations for FY 2003
> is this Thursday in the House (March 21) and Friday in the Senate (March
> 22).  We need to make sure that anyone who has contacted their Congressman
> and Senators regarding ARS bee research contact them again before these
> deadlines.

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.