From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 08:13:40 -0400
>  We often hear people touting one strain or race over all others and wonder
>.I suppose we should discuss the fact that no one honey bee strain will suit
>everyone.
>  Discuss.

Which is exactly what the "old timers" have been telling us forever.
Charles Mraz from Vermont, and Karl Showler from England both told me the
same thing years ago. The best bees will reared from your best colonies in
your area. For too many years, I told myself that I didn't have the time,
or expertise to raise my own bees and queens. So, I bought bees and queens
from the south. Let the bees and queens be raised by the
professionals...right? Well, after my chalkbrood problems got worse and
worse, and failing queens became all too common, I decided to try raising
my own. Surprise, surprise! The old timers were correct. Now, I can't
hardly find any chalk, and I'm not having to requeen the same colonies over
and over. My average honey crop has risen from around 70 lbs, to over 100.
To quote my inspector, who can't say enough good things..."the brood is
stick to stick, with solid patterns."

So, raise your own from your best, to fit your needs, and the way you keep
your bees.
Mike