From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:26:23 +1300
> 6.  There has been one outstanding glimmer of hope in all of
> this.  Some
> years ago, I made the front page of a Seattle paper.  I got a
> clipping from
> their ombudsman.  The ombudsman attached a questionnaire.
> Was the article
> accurate?  Did it cover the story?  Was I correctly quoted?  Was the
> headline appropriate.

I was surprised several years ago, nearly a year after providing some
relatively minor details for a story about Vespula germanica in New Zealand,
to get a call from a Reader's Digest "Fact Checker".  This woman, on
contract, did follow up audits for sources, accuracy, etc.  I was very
impressed!

Nick Wallingford
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz