From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:10:37 -0400
With all due respect, let me point out that my expressed alarm was about  a
 POSSIBLE coumaphos resistance case.  Such have been reported in other
countries, and we need to be alert.  I'm no fan of organophosphates, but
last Fall I had varroa here that were absolutely untouched by the most
generous application of Apistan that the label may be construed to
recommend.  A subsequent application of Checkmite paved the bottomboards
with dead varroa, and diligent search has revealed not a single varroa mite
this season.
Had Checkmite been unavailable or ineffective, I should not be even a
BeeHaver this year.  On the other hand, I shall make sure that I have
varroa to treat this year rather than just dumping on the chemicals.

My concern about possible development of resistance had largely to do with
the possibility that the inadequacies of our rough guidelines for dosage
given on labels, combined with the likelihood that some will skimp on
medication whilst others will medicate to excess, may tend to accelerate
resistance, and give  other undesirable results.  It would be totally
improper to suggest that the person with the problem misapplied the
medicine, yet we must be careful about misapplication.  One does encounter
resistance to proper application as I did with Apistan, or one can induce
resistance by improper use.

If one studies the matter of toxicity in "The Hive and  the Honey Bee"  one
will become aware of slopes of toxicity which relate to the honeybee
herself.  One may suspect that similar slopes pertain to pest species.
Also many pesticides exploit differences in toxicity to different species.
The intersections of these various slopes makes any one pesticide a very
complex matter.  We might do well to learn more about pesticides.

I'm neither for or against the use of coumaphos, fluvalinate, or anything
else that is legal and reasonable, nor would I suggest that we freak out
over a single POSSIBLE case of resistance.  However, I would urge that we
become knowledgeable enough, and be careful enough, to make well considered
use
of the pesticides we have.  We also should be alert for resistance and be
careful to avoid developing and spreading it.

Bill Morong