From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:08:05 +0100
Hi All

> "do bees pull foundation out, or merely add to it"

I think both are true, in variable proportion, I can offer this insight...

http://g8mzy.co.uk/list/comb_drawing_edge.jpg

The photograph is of the edge of advancement of comb building, on a
piece of foundation that has a very shallow imprint of cells embossed on
it. You can clearly see that the midrib of the drawn cells is thinner
than the foundation and you can see where the bees have progressively
nibbled away at the foundation wax, making it thinner towards the centre
of comb building activity.

Whether the wax that is nibbled away is used to build side walls or
fresh wax is used (or added) is not clear, but I can say that at least
one British manufacturer of foundation makes BS brood foundation sheets
that weigh 51 grams, because a piece of freshly drawn natural comb of
the same size was weighed at 51 grams.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)