From:
"Gary C. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:08:38 -0700
Hello Fine Fellow Bee People,
   I had the Pennsylvania State Bee Inspector here a few weeks back.
Happy to say my hive are doing very well. We did a roll for both (about
400 bees each) hives and found one (1) V.mite in one roll and none in
the other. Needless to say I am very happy.The inspector was surprised
as I had not treated for V.mite.I found no reason to. when ever I went
into the hives I always opened a number of drone cells and all that I
opened were clean. Early on there was a bit of chalk brood but that has
all been cleaned out by the very strong hives. If all  goes well I hope
to make it to next spring with a good start on the season.
  I have lots of pollen coming in now, golden rod is strong here in Pa
at this time of year, and I was able to sneak a bit of honey from a few
supers while we were going through the hives. I run a 2 super system,
the 3rd and 4th suppers are for my honey. I have not put on the 4th
super and don't think I will. I will take just a little honey for myself
and let the bees keep all the rest. I don't want to suffer the loses I
did last year. I will also treat for the V.mite very soon. They can
build up really fast as we all know.
  I will be ordering my new supers, frames and foundation this winter
and have all ready for next spring. I plan on trying to get up to at
least 5 hives from the two I have now. I think I may be able to do it.
  I hope everyone else is having a good season this year. Just wanted to
spread the good news. No one here seemed to understand my excitement
over my inspection results. I tried to explain but it went right past
them.

Thank you for your time.

Gary C. Lewis
Duke Center, Pa.