From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:34:26 -0600
Hello All,

To answer Keith also I have fed plenty of HFCS over the years (as well as
sucrose in the form of cane or beet sugar) BUT I only feed when absolutely
necessary. Moving bees on to heavy fall flows trumps feeding bees in fall
but then in California those are not available. Saves money and the bees do
better in my opinion. All beekeeping is local and in California beekeepers
have got to do what they need to do to survive.

Note Missouri is not a state listed as CCD disaster. However if disaster
funds are tossed around 100's of beekeepers with hands out could appear!

> What is your plan B, Bob?

1. Continue to move bees on to better bee pasture after the summer flows.
2. feed less HFCS ( maybe a mix like Keith does to get rid of the rest in
the big storage tank)
3. Try to bring in some liquid sucrose ( like is available in California)
but has not been available in our area in the past.
4. Go the cane/beet sugar route like in the past. My friend and I do get
those big sugar bags (2000 lbs.) from a source from time to time.

HFCS has been easy for beekeepers. Perhaps to easy. I would be happy with a
HFCS/sucrose mix this spring when bees are flying but will be feeding
sucrose (if needed ) this fall.

Horace Bell had a saying:

"I could buy a new King Ranch or Harley Davidson model Ford pickup for what
it takes to feed my bees a single time. "

Scale the saying down to the little guy like me and still words of wisdom.

There are two reasons to feed bees.

1.starving or stores for winter
2. to raise bees ( pollination, splits, honey flow buildup or package bees)

I am in the second year of a very interesting experiment about not feeding
bees at ALL! Last year ended in drought so need an average year to confirm
results.  The bees in the experiment had to be fed which I suspect will
happen from time to time.

> next question. Would this consumer of cola be any healthier if the
soda pop was made with honey?

Many of us believe a lot healthier because none of us including the
researchers from Tucson or Weslaco knows* exactly* why HFCS shortens
life span in rats & bees. There are two hypothesis so you can take your
pick.

How many people would be chugging cans of soda pop ( with up to the
equivalent of 12 teaspoons of sugar each which is not helping the obese
problem in the U.S.) *if* research suggested the heavy use of products with
HFCS would shorten life span.?????

I doubt research on the subject could ever be proved beyond a doubt
especially with the money behind the soda pop makers and Archer Daniel's
Midland. For now all I am saying is drink pop in moderation & consider the
fact HFCS if feed feedlot style might be problematic.

If a bright side CCD is helping our beekeeping industry by making us take a
long look at the way we keep,medicate and feed our bees!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.