From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:44:41 -0500
Hello All,

>Sounds like a free for all if that becomes reality since any beekeeper can
probably round up some empty hive bodies with comb. I wonder what the
perequiste would be to claim a CCD loss?

I have never filed a claim for a pesticide kill and have had a few. Usually
a yard or two partial kill a year. half the hive bees dead in front of the
hive is typical.

Bees dying is one thing. pesticide contaminated pollen in comb is a horse of
a different color!

 >Inclusion
of your state on the now world famous CCD map?

No although a beekeeper has reported dropping from 650 hives to a 100 last
fall. He has wondered why Missouri is not on the map.

Here in Mn we have no apiary program and hence no state record of hive
numbers etc so how would
someone qualify?

I would imagine it would be a federal program and handled by the county CCC
office. The same place which handles the government honey loan. Only a guess
by they also handle crop disaster.

>Hey why not send any beekeeper a check as long as they have a business card
or void business check indicating they are in business?

The government is about forms. They ask complicated questions on those
forms. There are only two beekeepers registered in my county. For years I
used my name. Then the form changed asking the number of beekeeping
operations I was involved in. I then jumped through hoops and got the loan
as a corporation. Then I said Busy Bee Acres Apiaires inc. had no other
beekeeping interests and list my corp federal ID number instead of my SS
number.

> I'm sure we would see an increase in keepers and hives if the $$ is right.

I doubt a lousy $35 package will make people flock into beekeeping. Danny
Weaver is asking $90 for a package in the bee magazines plus shipping.

Quote from a source on the CCD team to me personally:

" Now might not be a good time to get into commercial beekeeping"

He reads the list and I am sure he is glad I left his name out but what he
said. What does he know we do not I have to ask?

If it was not for California almond pollination many commercial beekeepers
would have been out of business by now. Niche local honey sideline business
will always survive. Unless they to can not keep their hives alive and CCD
hits the queen rearing industry (which as far as I can tell has been
untouched by CCD or reports very little loss). A report came from Georgia on
BEE-L but was latter shown to not be enough of a CCD loss to cancel orders.

*IF* the cause of CCD is systemic pesticide on seeds then the industry is in
trouble. The price for corn when I last filled my livestock bulk bin was
close to four dollars a 100 pounds in bulk up from a little over a dollar
last year. I buy tons at a time.

 All the farms which planted soy beans are thinking corn with systemic
pesticide treated seeds for corn worm. The chemical was not listed on the
labels we checked. On purpose? Only read treated with systemic pesticide for
corn worm.

A beekeeper in our  club which works for a company which is involved. He
said they are prepared to fight removing the systemic pesticide corn from
the market. Right now selling like hot cakes!

Remember the replacement bee package and price comes from a reliable source
but ONLY A RUMOR at this point.

I heard about the find of varroa in Hawaii before it was ever posted on
BEE_L but did not post because I wanted to be sure was not a rumor. By the
time I got the official conformation the same was posted on BEE_L.

In the case of the old indemnification program information can be found on
page 147-148 of the book " Beekeeping in the Midwest" by Elbert Jaycox

The program was handled by the Agriculture Stabilization and Conservation
Service (ASCS ) department of the USDA. up until the program ended in 1978.

The ASCS is now part of the Commercial Commodity Corporation ( CCC) or might
still be in the county office but not handling honey loans. Don't know. CCC
is the branch honey loans are made through now.

The indemnity program was handled on a county basis.

A rep from the office went to the beekeepers location to verify losses back
then. It is possible ( only a guess) that if
the indemnification program is used again that pass unverifiable losses
(2006) will not be paid and only future losses with proper verification and
with proper inspection will be paid.  Don't know.

 I personally see the program as a good thing to help keep beekeepers
afloat. Sends at least a small amount of money to help out to the beekeepers
which need the help. If imadicloprid treated seed is the cause of CCD ( does
the CCD team already know this?) then we DO NOT need research but protection
from systemic treated seeds!

Bob

--
believed to be clean.