From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:30:33 -0500
"Like the Missouri State meeting last weekend one of the main subjects was
comb contamination.
Eugene Makovec ( editor of the Mo. newsletter and BEE-L member) attended the

presentation so maybe Eugene will give a summery?"

Jennifer Berry talked about a study on comb contamination, and it was
troubling. While we've all been worried about our brood comb, they tested
foundation made from cappings wax, and found residues of several miticides,
with coumaphos the biggest culprit.

Now we all know that wax is transferred from place to place within the hive.
But what follows is more disturbing: Mason bee nests also tested positive
for these residues, suggesting perhaps that this stuff is somehow being
deposited on flowers for anyone to pick up.

Eugene Makovec
Kirkwood, Missouri USA