From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 07:32:25 -0500
yoonytoons wrote:
> Correction on that 30%:

> “The dosage of the oxalic acid in the trickling method had to be reduced
> from originally 60g to 35g oxalic acid dihydrate per liter sugar syrup (1
> part sugar + 1 part water), without an appreciable decrease of efficacy.
> At the same time, the bee tolerance of the trickling method was
> considerably increased.”

This is the trickling method. But your first post indicated you are
spraying it. So I am confused.

In any case, even if the percentages are correct, the amount of Oxalic
Acid (OA) is limited to 50 ml max for the hive for trickling and 3-4 ml
per side of frames of bees if sprayed (actually atomized spray). 50 ml
is not that much. You really have to measure it out to not overdose the
colony.

For Oxalic Acid, application methods are different, amounts are
different, composition of the liquid is different, and the rational for
the method of control is different. Add vaporization and you have
another different method entirely, also mentioned in your post. One size
does not fit all.

Too much OA harms bees. Too little results in decreased control. It is
easy to understand why strips are/were used for Apistan, Amitraz and
Checkmite, especially if you go back into the archives and see the many
home made concoctions. Lots of flame wars back then on the pre-moderated
BeeL (greedy chemical companies; if five grams works then ten will work
twice as good; and it's an ag product since they use it on
sheep/cattle/dogs and I can buy it in 55 gal drums so it must be safe).

If I am coming through harsh, Yoon, I apologize. That is not the intent.
But, as another poster noted, there are beekeepers who might search for
and get incorrect info on Oxalic Acid treatments from your first post.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine