From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:28:45 -0500
Hello All,
Quote by Mark Winston from "Biology of the Honey Bee"
> >"When the glycogen reserves which accumulate in the flight muscles are
> >exhausted, the older foragers are unable to synthesize additional
glycogen
> >and they die".

I have had a couple of direct emails wanting me to explain further and in
terms beekeepers can understand.
In beekeepers terms carbohydrate reserves in the honey bee are present as
glycogen. Carbohydrates in humans are our main source of fuel (unless you
are on the *Adkins diet *). Carbohydrates (glycogen) are the fuel for honey
bees. Mark's theory is when the bee runs out of glycogen the bee dies
instead of not making it back to the hive because of tattered wings and
according to James does not starve. Is not running out of glycogen starving?
The best scientific explanation I found is by Chippendale (1978)
"Carbohydrate reserves in the honey bee are present as glycogen (stored in
tissue) and trehalose (in the hemolymph). These reserves can readily be
transformed into glucose. Glycogen (a branched chain polysaccharide) is
synthesized from glucose in a series of chemical reactions similar to those
found in vertebrates"( reason I used humans for my beekeeper explanation).
Now I will explain why I believe Mark's statement above to be inaccurate.
From page 181 of "The Hive and the Honey Bee (copy 1992)
The glycogen stored in *flight muscle*  supports flight for only 10-20
minutes(Wigglesworth 1984).  AFTER this time , trehalose taken from the
BLOOD is the primary fuel, ALONG WITH sugars from the honey stomach.  Sooo
the honey bee does not die as Mark's theory claims when the honey bee  runs
out of glycogen in the FLIGHT MUSCLES.
I seriously doubt Mark Winston or Wigglesworth can pin point the exact cause
of death ( out of glycogen or tattered wings). Mark will say trehalose and
the sugars in the honey stomach are all carbohydrates and that is what he
meant.
I like the other Bee-L which posted think tattered wings play a roll. I also
have a problem with Mark saying the bee CAN NOT synthesize additional
glycogen and die. The above by Wigglesworth says the honey bee can and does
automatically.  I have also read in other books the bee can and does.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri