From:
TNT Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:20:59 -0700
GO FOR IT STEVE.

You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Outside storage of HFCS or liquid sucrose is very common on the Canadian
Prairies. I know of everything from 150 to 7000 imperial gallon tanks.  It
just depends what your needs are.  Our own tank holds 5600 imp.gal and can
be used for honey & syrup.  It was made by a company that makes hopper
bottom grain bins.  Others use liquid fertilizer tanks/ polytanks, etc.
Freezing is not the problem here, so it shouldn't be there. We send you your
weather.   We've had syrup in the tank (and barrels for that matter) at 50
below.  No bursting or torquing.  Sugaring is more a problem and can be
solved by circulating the contents in late fall or early spring.  We have a
3/4 line spaced 6" o/c in the cone,  but this is more for the honey. The
line uses hot water and it must be blown out before freeze up.

2" & 3" water pumps with gas engines are commonly used.  Many have one
attached to the tank on the truck. It can be easily plumped to mix or pump
on or off.  You can get suction hose from 1" to 3" in diameter.
Polypropylene camlock fittings are cheap and allow for quick changes in new
situations or cleaning.  For pumping off into inside feeders or pails in the
yard, use 1" rad hose or 1" fuel hose which can be easily coiled or reeled
up.  Agriculture stores will have all this stuff.  Farmers use them for
livestock and chemical application.

A friend has almost what you describe for syrup only.   He uses two 1250
imp. gal poly tanks.  These are round (about 8' dia) with a 2" outlet at the
bottom edge and a manhole on top at the side. They are overall about 6'
high.  Up here there seems to be a 100 different manufacturers.   They run
about 500. C$ at agriculture outlets.  He has them beside his building with
a small roof overhead to shelter them from the summer sun and the winter
snow sliding off the shop roof.  The tanks sit on a slight grade towards the
outlets which face each other.   A 2" line runs down between them and each
tank is tied in with a valve. One end of the line extends out to the road
and the other goes into his shop. He can mix  inside or pump directly  onto
his truck tank.  He has room to add more tanks as needed.   Kitec line (pipe
used in underslab heating) is coiled in the bottom of each tank.  This pipe
has a metal layer and thus holds its spacing by itself on the floor of the
tank (Again this must be blown out before freeze up). Circulating hot water
makes for easier pumping in late fall and early spring.

Hope this helps
Dave
Ardmore, AB.