Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:58:12 -0600
>> What we really need is more methods which are less constricting than
> most of the currently advocated controls so that we can go back to
> beekeeping rather than playing "Whack a Mole' with varroa.

> If I can get alternative treatments such as breeding, drone brood culling,
 > and essential oils (e.g. Thymol) to work, that's what I want to do.

That is my point.  Why would we want to put any of those things into our
hives or go through the necessary hive manipulations and scheduling?

None of that is good for the bees -- or the beekeeper.  These chemicals
are toxic and dangerous and inconvenient.

Breeding is having questionable results so far, and drone brood removal
is invasive and a nuisance, especially in hives with 6 supers on them.

After all this time, I have concluded that whatever the downsides there
may be to Amitraz and fluvalinate, they pale beside the costs and damage
from the alternatives.  (Not so sure about coumaphos, though.)

We need more treatments like Amitraz to take over when it fails.