From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:03:59 -0600
Hello Jim & All,

> as both because there are no label police.
> They are on the honor system.(packers)

Jim said:
Reading the actual organic regulations may provide a
different perspective, as would speaking with any of
the authorized certification entities.

Please email an entitie which can stop the label abuse problem. I tire of
wasting my breath on entities which can not police what they push!  So far
all my attempts have failed. None seems to have any power other than making
a phone call to the packer. He lies and end of story.

I know of a packer which has refused to pay the honey board. The rest of us
pay! So far the honey board has done nothing. Nada! Zero! Should the rest of
us refuse to pay?

What audits?

Paper trails are for people trying to go through honest channels to get a
USDA or certified label.  I am talking about packers simply having a label
printed with local, raw or organic on it.

Does the consumer know the difference between USDA or certified and
"organic". I don't think so!

I think standards to improve our food supply are great but without label
enforcement are worthless.

Why should a person  pay a huge fee to be certified organic and jump through
hoops when all you have got to do is get a label printed organic and leave
out the USDA part as Bill says?

I have discussed at meetings all of us using the organic label ( not
certified or USDA). How does the thought grab you USDA organic people?

I had to add "natural" to my label because a local beekeeper put "natural"
on his label and was telling consumers if "natural" was not on the label the
product could contain corn syrup.
I got tired of the "natural" question so printed new labels with the word
"natural"

I will donate a penny a pound for every pound of honey sold to a new "label
police". Lets put some teeth into label enforcement! Lets hire Chuck Norris
to head the organization!

Bob