From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:08:44 -0500
>I agree with Jeremy. At some point, you have to say: that isn't worth the
>time it takes. I have other things to do.

Jeremy said:
"check more than two hives that sounds like work"

Jeremy said he was busy (what commercial beekeeper isn't this time of year
but the bees come first in my operation) not that it was not worth the time
it takes.

Eventually small hive beetle will reach all of California and the way you
keep bees will change.

Slimmed (SHB) frames and wax moth frames hit the burn pile are here.

bees and equipment are a top priority in a commercial operation.

>They say that beekeepers spend 90% of their time on 10% of their hives. So
>the choice becomes, do you want to spend that time checking for duds, or
>doing something more productive, like raising queens, or what have you?

Who is they? In my operation we certainly do not spend 90% of our time on
10% of our hives.
Few commercial beekeepers raise queens. We leave the cell raising to the
guys selling cells usually and the queen rearing to the guys raising queens.

many ways to keep bees but a 120 nucs ( if started on full frames of brood
like in Missouri _ two or  three frames) represents an investment worth
seeing through. in my humble opinion.

>Pete -- formerly, a commercial beekeeper with not enough hours in the day.

 I have saw those pictures of those beekeepers moving hives with teams of
horses. Was before my time and I always respect the old timers opinion!
Thanks for the post!

Came in to take my second shower of the day! Hot in the extracting room but
got to get those supers extracted and off so we can take care of those bees!

I don't think my helper ( I am replacing) is coming back. Not answering my
phone calls is a bad sign!

Commercial beekeeping is hot back breaking work! Hope to get things done by
labor Day. Big crop!
The "other beekeeper" (like in the O.B. Wiser bee magazine articles) reports
poor crop and bees dying!

bob

bob