From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:50:38 -0500
Hello Peter and All,
Peter wrote:
> But, surely it would not be beyond the realms of capability for some
institution (other than Buckfast inc.!) to find the
> trait and stabilize it into a good Italian line. If not in the states then
in Canada, Europe.or else where.

Without a doubt the feat could be accomplished. The problem is still that
Italians in my opinion have got a big weakness for the mite. Two of my
friends running large numbers of Caucasians do not treat at all for TM. Many
beekeepers with Carniolans do not treat. Both strains seem to tolerate TM. I
always find TM in their samples but not at infestation levels. I spend less
than fifty cents ( U.S.) per hive treating for TM in my hives.
SMR Update
 The Italian line I use is the product of over 50 years of selective
breeding. In my opinion they are the best bees I have ever worked with. I
hope to introduce the SMR trait into the line but doubt the Italians will
pick up  the trait like the  Carniolans will (my opinion ).
The Suppressed varroa mite reproduction (SMR) breeder queens were bred
strictly for the SMR trait. Next year we will be able to see how many *bad*
qualities their daughters carry. Such as swarming, low honey production and
temperament. I have no doubt they can be improved through breeding but will
take several years. Because myself & partner start grafting in March and are
still grafting we can make big gains through breeding but you need to give
the SMR queens a full season before selecting a breeder queen from the open
mated daughters. I would guess it might take five years to get a good
production SMR bee bred. In my opinion they will NEVER produce as the
current Italian line I am using does but I could be wrong. As Aaron has said
the SMR project is only starting and the road is long. I have tried to give
a idea of my plans AND Goals with SMR.
The whole project could fail.   I believe in the SMR concept.   Dr. Harbo &
Dr. Harris have done their part.   I thank both!  Now I will do my part.  I
will report progress as the 49ers are doing but will remain quiet for the
next couple of years. . Some of the leave untreated and only test we will be
running:
Already using Red SMR line and our survivor Carniolan drones
Yellow SMR line with Red SMR line drones( spring 2002)
Red SMR line with yellow SMR line drones (spring 2002)
Red SMR line with my Italian drones ( spring 2002)
Already using Yellow SMR line with Marla Spivak hygienic drones
Already using red SMR line with Marla Spivak hygienic drones
We got our breeder queens too late for this years honey production so we do
not know if they will gather a honey crop. We do know the SMR breeder
queens and their daughters are prolific, gentle and  hygienic  but I have
not checked any for the SMR trait yet. I am too busy right now trying to get
the rest of the honey crop off and hives ready for winter.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri