From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:44:08 +0900
This year is the centenary of Australian federation (when the States of
Australia joined to a commonwealth rather than individual colonies of England).

As part of the Centennial Celebrations, the government of Primary Industries
& Resources, South Australia,
is hosting a "Centenary of Food and Fibre" at the South Australian State
Agricultural Show, the Adelaide Royal Show, to be held from 31st August to
8th September.

Kangaroo Island is participating as one of the regions in this display, and
the Kangaroo Island Beekeepers Association are assembling an historical
display, featuring hives used by the original settlers and beekeepers on the
Island, contrasted with the current day beekeeping equipment.

We have obtained a loan of a hive by courtesy of the S.A. Amateur Beekeepers
Assoc. Inc. which has been in continuous use for more than 100 years.  We
are displaying this together with information on the family history.

This hive has been identified as a Berlepsce - Dzierzon type, described as a
Russian-type hive still used in Germany for queen breeding.  The original
beekeepers migrated from Prussia between 1844 - 1850.

The Association also owns one of the original hives used in the early apiary
site at Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island, with a plaque naming the builders who
constructed this in the 1880s, stating that this is a "Dzierzon hive".

We wish to include information in our display on the inventor of the hive
type and his connection to beekeeping.  The only reference I can find is in
the ABC & XYZ to the "Dzierzon theory" which refers to a Rev. John Dzierzon
in 1845.

We would appreciate any information on the Rev. Dzierzon (assuming he is the
hive inventor), including family background and the impact of the design on
beekeeping practices of the day.

An archive search did not turn up any hits for "Dzierzon".

Can anybody contribute information?

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.net.au/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html