From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 21:27:37 -0500

> My experience is that the comb is drawn almost immediately, in the center
of
> the nest, and that the Queen uses it.  It is unusual for it to be used
for
> honey storage.  However, I still wonder if I am holding back the Queen.
> This frame replacement occurs whenever we remove frames of brood so the
> colonies are always strong.  I am beginning to feel that foundation might
be
> damaging and now I am beginning to wonder if an empty but drawn comb
might
> also be damaging.

If the foundation is placed in the center of the brood nest and flow stops
suddenly, I have seen it become like a barrier so that the bees work only
one side of the hive before beginning to draw it out.  When this happens
the queen is now effectively laying in a four or five frame nuc.  I do
however recommend this method when the colony is extremely strong early in
the flow and the weather remains good.  If periods of prolonged rain or
extreme cold occur,  I go in and move underway foundation further out.
This way the bees can use what little nectar they are getting to raise
brood instead of drawing comb.

Frank Humphrey