From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:43:14 -0800
Hi All,

> It is far better from a disease spread
> standpoint to feed syrup than honey.

I do think it was Robins point to leave honey not to feed honey. To give my
point of view, I stand for the most part with what Robin's point is to leave
bees with Honey for the winter. My own experience with bees is they winter
better on honey here in Alaska, and I know this is contrary to research
data. I find that bees have a hard time curing syrup after the honey is
pulled and sugar fed with our temperatures dropping on a daily basis after
the honey flow is over. Also, it would appear that the colonies are more
vigorous in the spring. Whether honey is better or not than artificial honey
is of no concern of mine. I have learned on my own that bees fair better
with honey through winter. I do not treat my bees so any honey on the hive
dead or alive is honey and can be dealt with as honey, just like in the old
days. Since leaving honey on the hives I have had a less mortality rate in
winter and the task of sugar syrup is nill. I do not even feed hived package
bees sugar syrup, I just give them combs with part honey to live on.

Isn't it just terrible having bees eat only honey and pollen, it's a wonder
I keep bees at all. On the other hand maybe it's the small bees I keep that
is responsible for their success. Who knows, who cares, maybe the bees care?

I think that traditional beekeeping is the answer to my bees success!
   . ..
c(((([
Keith Malone
Chugiak, Alaska USA