From:
Milt Lathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:33:41 -0400
I drove out to visit a hive of Russo/Caucasian hybrids I started with a
nuc this spring. A flow of Blackberries and clover is on so I figured I
would check to see if they needed a second super (Rite-cell foundation).  I
was very surprised to see a swarm in progress cause I always figured you're
pretty safe from swarms the first year.
   I approached the hive and it was covered with bees, most of them fanning
or shuffling about aimlessly.  The hive is on concrete blocks and bees were
clustered below the opening and onto the ground. I assumed swarm because of
the bees in the air though, the sound and the number of them convinced me I
was actually watching my first swarm.
   Very few bees in the super yet the top of the two brood boxes looked
crowded - so, I pulled the (plastic) excluder back and offset the super
some to give a top entrance.
   I figured there was nothing I could do at this point to disrupt their
plans, got my camera and prepared to make the best of things by getting a
shot of the swarm as it departed.
   Half an hour passed and nothing.  Still, lots of clustering outside but
most of the bees in the air (this was not playflight!) had settled on the
surrounding brush and on the hive.  I dropped a small cluster from a stick
on the ground into the super - closed up and left scratching my head.
   This was midday, just north of Seattle, temp about 74 degrees with Sun,
I hear it rained hard yesterday.  I assumed they wanted to swarm but
something went awry.  BUT - Is there anything other than heat that chases
bees out of their hive? Does this sound familiar to anybody else?  Is there
something I can or should do at this point?
   Thanks for listening.