From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:21:22 -0800
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Reply:
Sure your not talking beetles or mites here for how to?
Would think you need to rehash what you need to actually
do.

Probably do need to rehash/rethink procedure.  That's why the comments were posted.  But.....  We southern beekeepers need to have an established, workable procedure, or procedures, to be able to deal with hives that exhibit African Bee-like behavior.  We don't need to wait until they get here to set up working procedures, especially if our hives are in an urban setting.

Do we need to inspect the hives weekly to see if our queens are the marked ones we had originally installed?  Has there been supercedure processes taking place?  Have there been AHB swarms/colonies located in the area?  Are the bee yards in question in an area subject to AHB take-over?  I'm sure there are more questions to be asked, and answered, in order for us to be ready and equiped to deal with this new problem.  Now is the time to get these things worked out, not when the AHBs get here.

All comments, criticisms, conjectures, wags accepted and needed to try to get a handle on this.

Mike  Not wanting to be unprepared