Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:41:42 -0400
> Todd, notice that bees do not pack pollen to the top of combs but leave
1/16" or so empty.  This is >so they can cover the pollen with honey later,
presumably to keep the pollen fresh.  In the summer, I >mark combs with lots
of pollen with a thumb tack so I can be sure to be able to identify them
when I >organize the hive for winter.   Dan

Dan,

I've got a 2-story Carniolan hive that contains at least 3 frames of mostly
pollen still uncapped (as of about 10 days ago) - no honey over it, just
pollen in open cells.  I have seen some capped pollen under honey, but in
this particular hive, most of the pollen seems to be in open cells.  This
hive (my first hive last year) did the same thing last fall, as opposed to
my other hives, which are Russians, and seem to store pollen exclusively
under honey.  Is it possible that the Carniolans just collect more pollen
than they can use, and can't cover it with honey?  Would it be smart to pull
a frame or two and freeze them for late winter/spring?

Thanks,

Todd.