From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2019 01:41:09 -0000
>No I didn't, nor does natural selective pressure.

But how long does it all take?  We had the classic example here in Stratford.  Dark bees back as long as anyone can remember.  National Bee Unit at that time situated just on the outskirts of the town and running native bees.
Then Vince Cook took over as Director.  He came from New Zealand - and very quickly requeened with NZ A.m.l.

The colonies were set out all around the surrounding countryside (80 colonies right next to our association apiary) - and local bees quickly changed from dark to stripy hybrids.  Years of work have not yet restored the original situation, although we have managed to improve the temper (many colonies were almost impossible to handle).

This is not an isolated incident - there have been many cases.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W