From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 13:31:03 -0400
Timothy C. Eisele wrote:

>> A major cost item that I don't see on your list, is labor.  My
>> understanding is that "organic" is expensive because is more
>> labor-intensive than standard commercial practice.

When I had less than fifty hives I used to brush and shake the bees off the
honey frames by hand. Very hard work in 90 degree weather and it usually
ended up with a lot of robbing going on because the comb would dribble
everywhere

When I had hundreds of hives, I switched to Bee Go and I could take off at
least twenty times as much honey per hour, with less mess and less robbing.
Organic beekeeping does not permit the use of fume boards, so far as I know.

In some regions bee escape boards are feasible. They weren't in So
California because as soon as the bees cleared out ants would pour in. And
boy are they hard to get out of the boxes.

pb