From:
Steve Newcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:32:40 -0400
I disagree with Ernies comments regarding Bee-Go.  Is if foul?  YES!!  Does
it work?  YES.

I have tried the blower routine on 12 colonies.  I was always bringing too
many bees back home on the supers.  Last year I tried Bee-Go for the first
time.  I easily cleared the supers.  I found that placing the fume board on
one hive, applying 1-2 teaspoons of Bee-Go, and leaving in place for about
3 minutes, cleared the top super about 100%, and the second super about
80%.  When I was ready to remove the top super from the first hive, I
simply placed the fume board onto the top super of the adjacent hive.  Then
I carried the first cleared super to my truck.  If the second super was
cleared, I took it to the truck too.  By that time, the second hive was
ready for super removal.  I then placed the fume board either back onto the
first hive (if I had 3 or more supers), or onto a third hive.  I was able
to remove 25 supers in less than 30 minutes.

As far as what to do with a smelly fume board, just burn it or throw it
away.  Instead of buying a fume board, I nailed together (4) 3/4" square
sticks into a frame about the size of a super.  Then I stretched a piece of
black felt across it.  It cost me about $1.  It was easier to pitch it than
find a place where it wouldn't stink up everything.  This summer, in an
emergency, I used an old dish towel that I kept as a rag in my tool bucket.
 It was a little bit smaller than a super, but it worked great.  I left it
hanging from a bush in the yard, so I can use it again if necessary.  This
fall it will go into the garbage.

Remember, Bee-Go only works when the temperature is in the upper 70's, or
higher.

Steve Newcomb
Elyria, OH