From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 06:54:09 -0400
I wrote:
  I have asked this group  repeatedly to show studies proving their
effectiveness.

Karen wrote:
>I'm sure Cornell can get a copy of the full research (and suprised you don't
>  already subscribe to the publication of such in your own field, since there
>  are so few doing research).

I most certainly read the study you quoted and even talked to the
author about it. However, I came to quite a different conclusion than
others. The study seems to me to reinforce the idea that screens
alone are of little use, which is the only point I was trying to
make. I have made this before, and I was only reiterating it because
it seemed as if the discussion was focusing on these screens again.

As far as using them in conjunction with chemicals, the study makes
some observations, which so far as I know, have not been replicated.
They do not make any recommendations based on these observations.

More recently, Keith Delaplane touted John Harbo's work on the mite
reproduction suppression trait as the really big news. I don't have
the reference at hand, but I think it was in Bee World. Anybody see
that?

I am contributing to this list, not as a scientist but as a fellow
beekeeping enthusiast of many years.  Years ago I sold beekeeping
supplies in California and it always bothered me when bogus stuff
appeared on the market. Anyone remember those non-swarming frames?
They were thin plastic panels that looked like queen excluders that
you were supposed put in between the regular frames.  If you think
that would work, I have a bridge to sell you . . .

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>