From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:35:56 +1000
>I couldn't resist posting on this as I've been researching the disappearing
> disease. Seems it appeared regularly in AU. On theory was that the poor
> soil
> in certain localities provided poor pollen. Bees were helped when their
> pollen was trapped out of the hive and supplements were fed. One wonders
> if
> it could apply in US right now.

I have sent this reference to Jerry previously to see if he thought it had
any connection.

Just a couple of comments from one who has experienced this muck.  It is on
acid soils.  If you have a hive that is showing symptoms and shift it onto
say good agricultural country symptoms disappear with a day or so.  The one
big difference, from what I have been seeing on Bee-l, is that the muck
exhibits itself as EFB.  You do not seem to be seeing either the dead bees
nor larval death.    Many beekeepers have in the past been treating muck as
EFB.  With all my experience, both in the Department and commecially, I
would not say one was positively muck or EFB without a lab diagnosis.
However, time of year, it occurs aound September to December in our part of
the world, and the area i.e. soild type give you a very good idea as to
which is which.

From my perspective, it basically boils down to a heavy metal poisoning.
When the PH of the soil drops to a high acidic value, it seems the plant has
the ability to take up more of these metals and they appear in a greater
concentration in the pollen and nectar.  If it rains and the PH rises i.e.
goes from say highly acidic to slightly acidic, then symptoms disappear.

FWIW

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Hoping you have looked at www.apimondia2007.com