Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:29:43 GMT
>>Bees that are natural inhabitants of northern climates can handle
the types of honey that are available normally in that area.

This is my thinking, too.

Do you folks up in Vermont, northern NY, or Canada come across many
feral/wild colonies that survive from year to year?  Please let me
know.  Such ferals should be your best source of genetics for your
climate.

I extracted my fall honey around Oct. 20th this year.  The bees
collected a lot of delicious honey from mostly, I believe,
goldenrod.  The honey started crystalizing with very fine grain in
the buckets within 3 days after extraction!  I have not seen this
before.

The bees had stored a lot of this fall honey in the broodnest.  It's
bound to be, at least, partially crystallized under the cappings
above the cluster.  I had to supplement very little with sugar syrup
this year.  I'll see how they fare this winter.  I've been collecting
feral colonies and raising my own queens from the feral mothers so
these colonies should be ok.

The only [major] difference I see between local ferals and my
colonies is the amount of stored spring/summer honey.  Ferals will
have a larger proportion of spring/summer honey in their stores.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY