From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:10:08 -0900
Hi George & All,

> However, let us NOT worry about queen shipment to Canada; but, rather, to
> educate the great number of queen "producers" in this country into  queen
> BREEDERS.
>
> I dare not say any more; but, after my death, I think that artificial
> insemination of
> queens will be well accepted by all, rather than field insemination of a
> queen today
> being impregnated by "every boy up and down the street".

I am sure glad that these statements above are only an opinion and not what
will transpire. There will always be beekeepers, like myself, who Breed
their own queens, in the open, locally to keep an acclimated stock of honey
bees suited for the location that they keep bees.

In my opinion, I think those breeding queens need to take a more holistic or
integrated approach instead of singling out certain genes that are only
taken out of the whole. More will be lost than will be gained by using A.I.
or I.I., it will be like throwing the baby out with the bath water. With
that said there is nothing wrong with maintaining a pure strain of honey
bees but A.I. and I.I. need not be employed to do this.

However, let us NOT worry about queen shipment to Canada; but, rather, to
educate the great number of people who "KEEP BEES" in this country into
"BEEKEEPERS" by teaching them to rear and mate their own queens. This along
with individual beekeepers sharing stock with each other a more diverse
genetic stock of honey bees might be maintained in the USA and elsewhere.

Jokers make life more fun and complete. d:~)>

Disclaimer; only an opinion.
   . ..
c(((([
Keith Malone