From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 07:22:44 -0700
Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

This colony entirely died out well within the period Geo suggests.
> This mini-catastrophe cannot be interpreted with any accuracy; indeed
these
> simple facts don't prove anything against ApistanŽ, but I don't mind
> admitting that this horrible event produced in me an irrational dislike
of
> ApistanŽ.
Robert,it was our experience that the very best producing hives were the
first to crash in the fall(usually right after making a big crop) from
varroa vectored viruses just by virtue of the fact that more brood equals
more varroa,at least in non resistant stock.We had to face the unpleasant
fact that our best bees were in fact our worst bees.Trying to get fall
honey when there is a large buildup of varroa going on will guarantee a
crashed hive by September in this area of California.This is creating lots
of problems,the only long range solution being breeding bees with
resistance to VIRUSES (sacbrood,DWV,and whatever else is in the stew known
as PMS)
 And I never heard of nor saw any ill effects on bees or brood from
Apistan.It just wont work any more in lots of areas.
---Mike