From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:32:02 -0500
Harold Pope of Irving,CA. wrote:

> Colonies have been found in holes in trees, the space between the walls or
> buildings, underneath foundations, in sheds, in drain pipes, water-meter
> valve boxes, abandoned appliances, holes in the ground, piles of junk, flower
> pots stored upside down, piles of rocks, underneath picnic tables and even in
> old tires.
>
> In wild areas, there may be as many as 10 to 20 colonies per square mile..
>
> If you discover a bee swarm or believe you have discovered a colony, stay
> away from it. According to entomologist Nick Nisson with the California State
> Agricultural Commission, there are no public agencies in Orange County that
> remove bee swarms or colonies from private property. If you require bee
> removal, you'll need to contact a commercial beekeeper or pest-control
> company.
>Hello All,
The part about contacting a commercial beekeeper is the best the
authorities can come up. I don't know of one commercial beekeeper which
provides AHB removel. None of the Kansas City pest control people remove
bees. I have thought about the problem quite a bit and do not have the
answer. Maybe bee-l discussion might provide the solution. I had a guy
the other day stop by my office. He said he had a swarm of bumble bees
in his field where he wanted to run fence and wanted me to come right
away. What do you say to these people?

Your post could be a wake up call for many.  Goes along with what i have
read and been told by "owners" of African bees.  Illegal to keep
Africanised bees in Missouri and remain to be shown they will outproduce
European bees with all the AHB swarming,after swarming and abscounding.
 The above is fuel for my crusade to get A. cerana imported into the
U.S..  A.cerana will not cross with AHB.  A.cerana is not effected by
varroa mites. If AHB genes for aggressive behavier are dominate then are
we all supposed to look forward to aggressive bees,swarming and
abscounding when our bees become africanised.  Granted many beekeepers
have put AHB on the back burner to worry about at a later date because
of the slow movement north.  As any researcher came up with the  reason
AHB progress has dropped from 300 miles per year to ?????
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison