From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:03:14 -0500
Hello All,

> We have a constituent here in Denver who is concerned about a bee hive
> inside his hollow maple tree.  Apparently the bees have been more
aggressive
> this year than in years past, causing conflict between him and his
> neighbors.
 > Do you have any suggestions for removal?  Someone suggested using a
specialized vacuum.

Lisa you need to get a local beekeeper involved as the process involves
beekeeping skills.  I offer a video for sale which shows the process.
The choices are a screen funnel and a beehive or
Cut the tree down in winter when the temperature is below 40 degree F. and
remove the bees.
Soapy water will kill the bees and A.I. Root sells a video which shows the
process.  I have shown the video to several fire departments in talks I have
given.  If contact (with the soapy water) because of the shape of the tree
is not made with the bees all you are going to do is make the bees upset.
Your local exterminator will most like tell you "I don't do bees!"
The funnel method has always worked for me but takes time.  Basically the
plan is to make a funnel with a small hole only *one* bee can slip through.
Each bee when he finds he can not rejoin the hive joins the weak
hive*queenright* outside.  Works best when the major flow is not on.  When
all but a few bees are left in the tree the funnel is removed and the then
strong outside hive (queenright) robs out the tree( when honey flow is not
on).  The tree in the video took about five weeks.  Usually trees have got
several entrances. The tree in the video had three entrances . Unless all
but the funnel are plugged you are spinning you wheels. Others have tried
the funnel method (usually for a weekend) without success.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Some beekeepers do not use a queenright hive but I do.  After all the
hive will  be sitting there for a number of weeks so why would you use any
other type of hive. The fellows neighbors will probably be upset when they
see a hive sitting by the problem bee tree. New programs will be coming on
TV next week so maybe the neighbors will forget the bee tree.