From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:37:06 -0500
bill bartlett
>For the past 15 years at least, we got no tulip popular honey.

I think it is important to realize that a particular plant may be an
excellent honey plant, but if there aren't enough of them, honey bees will
simply work on something else that is more productive.

Tulip poplar has been harvested for its cabinet grade lumber to the extent
that there may not be enough of them still left to attract bees, especially
if there is something else that is attracting them during the bloom period.

In other words, a field of a particular flower is going to give the hive
better returns than a single tulip tree in somebody's yard, even if that
flower is not a real great honey honey plant.

pb