From:
peter dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:22:52 +0200
It appears to me that there is a serious lack in testing procedures - I
say this because pesticides are put on to the market not having been
tested regarding their toxicity when bees come into contact with the
active molecule (or the resulting metabolites).
Often an active ingredient in allowed and passes by so called
controlling commissions due to the fact that it method of application
does not bring it into direct contact with the bees.
When this is the case, there are few, limited or no tests applied to the
substance relating to effects on bees- a handy way of getting around a
problem.
E.g.. Systemic pesticides may be applied to a plant before flowering
periods, therefore allowed, its target being aphids-nothing is mentioned
about bees- NO NEED - WHY LOOK FOR  PROBLEMS.
Companies wait until there is a problem, fight all the way, hoping that
legal argument slows down the procedures until the material in question
looses its efficiency and it needs to be replaced anyway
Looking up legal requirements (and I do understand why) tests are
required for human health, "animal health"- but bees- very little!!
Are Beekeepers so easy to roll over?
If a kind soul could indicate to me where I might find the regulations
stipulating the basic steps-taken by the "authorities" when a company
wishes to place a substance on to the market. i.e. what criteria decides
which tests are to be applied and why;
Peter