Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:27:13 GMT
>>A beekeeper recently asked me about moving hives a short distance
(possibly 10-50') in the wintertime.

From my experience, bees will orient to the new location but still
will visit the old site for several days.  Before sundown, they will
be back to the new location unless other colonies had been left near
the old site.  Then, they may join the nearby colonies which may
leave the original colonies badly depopulated.

Your friend may also want to consider moving hives only on good
flying days in the winter to prevent any disturbed bees from freezing
to death away from the cluster.

Waldemar
Long Island (where we've gotten very cold days and nights this
week...)