From:
Tom Sanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:39:24 +0200
The following has been sent to me:

We spoke on the phone yesterday.  I'm trying to get a better
understanding of
the effects of neonicotinoid insecticides against honeybees.  I have
reviewed
the liturature, and the research that has been conducted so far makes
this class
of chemistry look generally OK regarding bees, as long as it's not
sprayed while
bees are flying, and care is taken to spray in the evening, so the
residue
weathers before the next day.

However, the popular press has been reporting on beekeeper
demonstrations in
Paris, where angry beekeepers claim that imidacloprid treated sunflowers
have
wiped out hundreds, if not thousands of hives.

The french beekeepers' claims don't seem to be supported by the research
that I
have been able to find.  What's the real story?  Looking down the road,
there
are 3-4 other new neonicotinoid insecticides in development.  This whole
chemical class will have a big impact on agriculture in about 3-4
years.  What
will this mean for bees?

You can respond directly to Thomas Anderson: [log in to unmask]
--
Dr. Malcolm (Tom) Sanford
Extension Apiculturist, University of Florida