From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:33:59 -0500
To ALL,
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Mark Berninghausen penned:

"The packers .… are going to get their supply from where they can at as
low a price as they can, at the standard of quality that the customer
demands."

Prudent are the words, “at the standard of quality that the customer
demands." Herein lies a problem with our business; “at the standard of
quality that the customer demands."

On a regular basis I travel to grocery stores to take note of honey prices
and the brands available. MOST if not all of the large chain stores only
sell honey that is from the major packers, multi-regional if not
international, ie. Sue Bee, Honey Maid, etc..  The health food stores have
their own major brands as well; however, most of these stores will also
carry local honey. The health food store market is a good market to break
into.

I have found that even with UPC labeling the major chains do not want to
talk to Buzz Beekeeper. If you can’t supply 1500 stores, they don’t want
you. There are a few chains that have less than 200 stores; and, a few of
these folks are approachable. However, they want your prices to be
comparable with the major brands such as above. (Psssst, pssssst how can
they be comparable due to their production methods, and the taste of their
honey?….shhhhhhhh)

The folks at the National Honey Board here in the USA do promote varietal
honey, but, and this is a BIG BUT, IMHO they do not aggressively market
varietal honey nor do they aggressively market “Local Honey” or "RAW
HONEY". They do have a varietal of the month,
http://www.honey.com/votm/index.html that is published on their website.
However their approach to national marketing is rather generic in nature.
In short, they could do a lot more; and they could do a whole lot more to
promote honey produced in this country. Unfortunately, most packers and
most importers buy as cheap as possible leaving the American Producer with
comb in his teeth and little money in his pocket. It’s a shame that the
National Honey Board has such a narrow rail to walk on; there is a lot of
really nice and talented folks who work there; but I do not see the active
promotion of varietal and local honey produced in the United States as
something that is aggressively marketed; it’s only just HONEY, BIG PACKER
HONEY, and frankly folks,.... that's tasteless to my palate and my pallet
as well.

If the NHB would aggressively market the varietals and raw local honey I
certainly would have an increased demand for my products; I know that you
would too! But then the importers would be crying … actually their market
probably would not be hurt at all.

Merry Christmas and,

Cheers,

Chuck Norton